October 15, 2008

Little Scottdale, Big Impact

It is said that childhood memories last a lifetime. Childhood is best described as worry free and full of excitement. There is one crucial part of a child’s life that many tend to look past though. This vital part of a child’s life is where he or she grew up. This not only includes their physical home environment, but also their surrounding regions. I was born in Virginia Beach, Virginia, but moved to Pennsylvania when I was quite young. We resided in the very small town of Scottdale, merely forty-five minutes south of Pittsburgh. Scottdale, a town unfamiliar to many, has been my home for nearly sixteen years. Scottdale is known for being home to the historical H.C. Frick Coke Company, several centuries ago, which we learned a great deal about in school. There are numerous aged Victorian-era mansions throughout the town, all dating back from the eighteen hundreds. There are also many new buildings throughout the area, such as the brand new library and Elementary School. Scottdale may not be a town of great historical importance to the rest of the United States, but it was of great significance to my childhood. Without being brought up in a small environment, I would have never been able to mature into the individual that I am today. Being able to make my own decisions as a child has allowed me to become a very independent and established adult.

Scottdale is a very small, close-knit community, consisting of nearly forty-five hundred residents. Because our town is so small, it is quite typical to smile and wave at familiar faces everywhere one may go. Scottdale is also a very friendly town. It provides a warm and inviting atmosphere to visitors, and it is a place that I am proud to call home. Having lived in three different homes in Scottdale, I have personally experienced the welcoming attitudes for new residents of the community. The second home in which I resided in was located directly in the middle of the town. The street was full of young children, which was quite shocking to me at first being that I came from a home surrounded by only two other children. Within days after our move-in, our new neighbors came to introduce themselves to us and asked if we wanted to play with them. One of these children grew to become my best friend, and we are still best friends to this day. This sense of welcoming and kindness was instilled in me at a very young age. Living in Scottdale has allowed me to become a much more amiable and outgoing individual. I am able to make new friends quite easily, which is something that many people struggle with. I am not afraid to show others who I truly am, even if there may be a question of acceptance. For example, I came to Washington and Jefferson College knowing only two people from my hometown. In a matter of three weeks, I have gained almost the same number of friends that I had in high school. This personality trait will also allow me to do extremely well in the career that I am currently trying to pursue: an international businesswoman/accountant. Many people believe that accountants are stuck in an office all day, but this is not always true. It will be necessary for me to make others feel as though they are wanted, which is a trait that comes naturally to me now. I plan to use my skills in order to portray the values of American businesses while attending meetings in foreign countries. My welcoming and outgoing personality will allow me to do extremely well in my future endeavors. While being a resident of Scottdale, I have learned to chase my dreams but to remain my true self in the process.

Growing up in a small community gave me a feeling of always being safe. This sense of protection allowed me to be an adventurous and independent child. My sister and I, along with our neighborhood friends, were very active children. We enjoyed being outside, searching for new adventures. We enjoyed riding our bikes around town, which was permitted because our parents knew we were safe. There are no busy highways near our town, unlike those surrounding large cities, for our parents to have worried about us riding past. Loucks Park, located in the middle of the town, is a popular place to go during the summer months. There is a softball field, basketball and tennis courts, a water sprinkler, several jungle gyms, an enormous slide, a pavilion, and a concession stand that is open during certain events. Every summer day around noon, our neighborhood crew would ride our bikes to Loucks Park for the free school lunch. Our parents enjoyed this even more than we did because they did not have to prepare lunch, and we could stay at the park and play for hours. The park was known for being one of the safest parts of the town. Along with this sense of protection was the independence and freedom that we enjoyed as children because we were able to roam freely around the town. We were on our own for majority of our time, which prepared us for letting go of our parents as teenagers. We did not lean on our parents for everything, and we were able to make our own conscious decisions. I learned responsibility at an early age, which allowed me to move towards independence sooner. I was able to adjust quite easily into the college experience because I was not entirely dependent on my parents. Scottdale has truly aided in my growth towards becoming a fully independent woman.

Scottdale is a very family-oriented and laid back community. Yes, many people live hectic lives, but the majority of the residents never forget the importance of family. Growing up in a rural, country atmosphere, rather than a bustling city, has taught me to be patient. Although patience is such an important character trait, many Americans struggle in this area. Lack of patience can result in anger and rage, which is more evident in larger cities. Scottdale has its fair share of crimes, but the crime rate is not nearly as high as in other cities. Patience is a character trait that many strive for but are not able to achieve. I take much pride in being able to control myself in hectic settings, which I am only able to do because of what Scottdale has taught me. Along with achieving patience comes balancing a busy schedule with a family. The demand of family life with a career may be stressful, but it is something that Scottdale has proved to be entirely possible. The importance of family was invested in me at a very young age. Quality time with family can be accomplished in a variety of different ways. My family, in particular, made it a goal to eat dinner together at home as much as possible. My mother is an extraordinary baker, and she always made our favorite desserts. She put her heart and pure love into every meal, which was greatly appreciated by our entire family. This was time for my family to talk to each other about the events taking place in our individual lives. Being around my family so often has taught me the importance of caring for and loving one another. In today’s society, it is quite easy to forget about the value of family. Scottdale has provided me with skills to remain patient in a busy world, while also remembering the importance of family. For instance, although my life schedule is packed-full with school, homework, and a job, I never forget to let my family know how much I truly care about them. Every week, I pick a family member to write a letter to. This does not have to be composed as a long letter, though; it is sometimes only a few sentences. It only takes up a few minutes of my time, and the blissful reactions from my family make it worth every minute. It is easy to fall under the pressures of everyday life, but Scottdale has provided me with the knowledge to overcome these difficult endeavors.

Overall, living in Scottdale has been as much of an influence in my life as my parents have. I have inherited the beliefs and virtues that are standard among our community members. I have grown into an independent, free-spirited individual. The relationship with many of my other community members has allowed me to become a more diverse and complex human being. I am going to be able to use the skills that I learned as a child in order to make a better future for myself. I know that I will always have a special place in my heart to call home, no matter what the circumstances may be. The endearing childhood memories of growing up in a sheltering community have helped define who I am today and who I may become tomorrow.

1 comment:

Samantha Grahn said...

I believe this essay is very great job!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I myself have a similar experience and it is nice to know someone can also relate!